Creating waves of adventure with every stroke…
Stand up paddle boarding may have originated in Hawaiian waters, but it has made a home in the heart of Sydney Harbour with WATSSUP- Watsons Bay Stand up Paddling. Located in Watsons Bay (only a 15 minute drive or 20 minute ferry ride) from the Sydney City Centre and 10 minutes from the famous Bondi Beach.
WATSSUP is the brainchild of two water crazy, ocean loving enthusiasts: Bondi Rescue’s Lifeguard Terry McDermott and resident Mermaid Joanna Kyriazakos. Between them, Joanna and Terry have thousands of hours of experience in competing, instructing and coaching in aquatic environments, from flat water to open ocean. Each member of the WATSSUP family are ocean lovers who live and breathe stand up paddle boarding and are genuinely passionate about teaching the art of SUP & spreading that SUP stoke for anyone who’s willing to take up this amazing and addictive watersport!
WATSSUP takes pride in operating as a stand up paddle school. This means every single stand up paddle boarding experience is guided and/or taught by one of our amazing SUP instructors. By having a knowledgeable, fully trained WATSSUP team member with you at all times, means all you have to worry about is enjoying the unreal feeling of being on the water, embracing the natural surroundings, practicing your SUP technique and taking in the spectacular views of Sydney Harbour. All whilst your designated WATSSUP team member is there to keep you safe and keep you stoked and even give you some paddling tips along the way.
*Ohana – means family
Terry is a veteran professional lifeguard, surfer, trainer and all round waterman, also well known for his presence on the famous Australian TV show: Bondi Rescue. Terry’s been stand up paddle boarding since 2006, and previously ran a successful learn to surf school for over 20 years, Terry was also a surf reporter for 21 years. Not many people know this but Terry was a semi-pro surfer in his day and has competed in and won many surf comps. Terry has competed in the Molokai to Oahu Race a number of times on prone paddle boards as well as stand up paddle boarding and was awarded the “Best Waterman” award for his exceptional crossing of the Kauai Channel in 2009.
Joanna, also known as “The Mermaid”, has been teaching swimming and open water/surf sports for almost 2 decades! Since creating the now thriving swim school – Mermaid Swim Academy at Bondi Beach back in 2006, she has also developed a highly successful Surf Sports Training business; conducting kids camps for surf awareness, paddle board training and surf swimming skills. Jo is an open water swimmer herself, as well as an accomplished prone and stand up paddler, and has competed in many open ocean swimming events. She has also successfully tackled the infamous Molokai to Oahu race in Hawaii a number of times, once taking the crown of First Female Team!
“We love to share our years of knowledge, expertise, love and passion for stand up paddle boarding with each and every person who comes to stand up paddle board with us. We aim to inspire and introduce those of you who have never SUPed before to all of the benefits (physical, emotional, spiritual & mental) of the sport. As well as providing experienced SUPers with technique and skill based support, challenging workouts and amazing tours of one of Sydney’s best-kept secret beaches – Watsons Bay and all of its surrounding beauties.” – Joanna & Terry.”
As a Stand up Paddle School we teach the art of SUP so that you acquire skills and techniques to get the most out of your Stand Up Paddling adventures. A WATSSUP experience is multidimensional; you will learn, discover, grow, have fun, feel inspired and become part of our SUP family.
WATSSUP offer lessons, cruises and training. Every session is ALWAYS led by one of our experienced instructors in a safe environment so that you are certain to get the best possible stand up paddling experience, which is unique to you.
Join a community of ocean lovers
Live a healthy & active life
Experience something new everyday
Be stoked and stay stoked
Develop as a person and as a paddler one stroke at a time
Seek adventure in everything you do
Our promises to you…
- SAFETY – Safety is always our number one priority – you stay safe and you have an awesome time every time!
- COMMUNITY- We pride ourselves in building meaningful relationships with every one of our paddlers by creating a place where everyone is welcome and everyone has opportunity to grow and become part of our tribe.
- INSPIRATION- We inspire people to make stand up paddling part of their lives so they live a healthier and more active lifestyle, amongst nature and the ocean – achieving the ultimate stoke!
- LEARN -We teach our paddlers the art of SUP so that they can have the best possible experience on the water
- ENVIRONMENT- Our activities always respect the environment that we paddle in and we seek opportunity to keep it clean and healthy. You will regularly see us and our paddlers taking 3 or more for the sea before each paddle.
- ACCESSIBILITY – SUP is achievable to anyone willing to give it a go. We pride ourselves in teaching the art of SUP and continued development in one’s SUP & ocean skills.
- SALTY QUALITY – Everything we offer and do is of high quality – from the equipment we use and offer to our paddlers , to the instruction we give and the service and love we provide.